A Bowel obstruction can be an side effect of hernia repair surgery. This can especially happen when the procedure was completed using a defective mesh product. If you have experienced bowel blockage or other injuries from a defective implant, you may be entitled to file a claim for compensatory damages. Find out more information about hernia mesh lawsuits and bowel blockages in the information we have put together below.
- 1. What is a bowel obstruction?
- 2. How does hernia repair surgery cause bowel obstruction?
- 3. What are the symptoms of hernia mesh bowel obstruction?
- 3a. What are the symptoms of small-bowel obstruction?
- 3b. What are the symptoms of large-bowel obstruction?
- 4. What are the complications of a bowel obstruction or bowel blockage?
- 5. How is bowel obstruction diagnosed and what is the prognosis?
- 6. What is the treatment for a bowel obstruction?
- 7. Why should you contact a personal injury lawyer if you have bowel obstruction after hernia mesh surgery?
Bowel obstruction can be a complication of hernia repair surgery, particularly when the procedure was completed using a defective product, made by several key hernia mesh makers.
1. What is a bowel obstruction?
A bowel obstruction means there is a blockage or stoppage in either the small or large intestines. This can be a partial blockage or the intestines can be blocked entirely. This means that food, liquid and even gas cannot pass through your digestive system. Not only can this condition cause extreme discomfort, but it can even be life threatening. If you are experiencing a bowel obstruction, seek treatment immediately.
2. How does hernia repair surgery cause bowel obstruction?
Hernia repair surgery using hernia mesh can be done in open surgery, or laparoscopic surgery. Laparoscopic surgery is an operation performed in the abdomen or pelvis using small incisions with the help of a camera. This method can be less invasive than normal methods. However, intestinal blockage is most likely to occur after laparoscopic surgery. A less well-recognized complication after laparoscopic inguinal hernia repair is small bowel obstruction. This may be due to adhesions to, or entrapment under, the mesh as seen with the intraperitoneal on-lay mesh technique, which has been reported. If mesh was used, the implant may not fully cover the area completely. Regardless or not if mesh was used, a blockage can also occur if the mesh and tissue fuse together or connect to each other. Scar tissue can develop when healing after the hernia repair surgery. This scar tissue may attach itself to other tissue. It may also spread to other organs, causing blockages and other health issues.
Mesh can migrate over time, causing bowel obstructions and blockages.
3. What are the symptoms of bowel obstruction caused by hernia repair?
The symptoms of intestinal obstruction are generally the same regardless if the blockage was caused by hernia repair surgery or another health issue, but the symptoms can vary depending if it is the small- or large-bowel that has been obstructed.
Symptoms can depend on whether the large or small intestine is blocked. These symptoms can occur with or without surgery.
What are the symptoms of small-bowel blockage?
- Intermittent Abdominal pain
- Bloated abdomen
- Nausea and vomiting
- Tenderness in the abdominal region
- Inability to pass gas through the rectum
What are the symptoms of large-bowel blockage?
- Diarrhea – stool leakage
- Bloated abdomen
- Abdominal pain ranging in severity
What are the complications of bowel blockage?
Complications of bowel obstruction can be mild to severe. If left untreated, they can even be life threatening. Two main issues can occur.
- Tissue death can result from loss of blood supply to part of your intestines. This causes the intestinal wall tissue to die. Dead tissue can tear easily, which greatly increases the risk of infection.
- Infection, also called peritonitis happens in the intestinal wall.When the intestine is punctured, the contents within can leak. This can cause septic shock and can potentially lead to death. Surgery is usually needed in order to correct this issue.
How is bowel obstruction diagnosed?
You will need to be examined by your doctor. Based on their evaluation, you may need an x-ray to confirm or deny the likelihood of an obstruction. A bowel obstruction may also be confirmed by a colonoscopy, where a tube is inserted via the rectum. The tube will have a camera attached to it, where the doctor can visually confirm the obstruction..
What is the likely outcome of a Bowel blockage?
Bowel blockages are not typically considered to be deadly situations. However, the situation depends on your health, age and the length of time you have been experiencing an obstruction of the bowels.
How is bowel blockage treated?
A Boewl blockage is typically treated through a surgical procedure, especially if the issue is caused by a defective hernia mesh device. The mesh will need to be removed. If the mesh and surrounding tissue have fused together, that will need to be repaired as well. Damaged or dead tissue may need to be removed and the doctoor will need to repair the hernia.
Why should you contact a hernia mesh attorney if you have a bowel obstruction after hernia repair surgery?
First and foremost, it is important to see a doctor and have the medical issue resolved by a doctor. After you've received medical treatment, it is important for you to contact the law office of Betz and Baril. We will evaluate your henia mesh case to determine if there are grounds for a llawsuit on your behalf. not all hernia mesh surgery patientsarre entitled to file a claim. However, this is determined on a case by case basis. If you”ve had recent herna repair surgery, where a mesh device was used, and you've experienced a bowel obstruction, we may be able to help you. Our experienced hernia mesh attorneys are available to evaluate your case and help you to receive the compensation you deserve. If you've been the victim of a faulty hernia mesh device or medical malpractice due to a medical professional's negligence, we'll stand in your corner.
If you have questions and are interested in filing a hernia mesh lawsuit, contact the Law Office of Betz and Baril today at (865)888-8888. We represent clients throughout the U.S. in hernia mesh lawsuits.
- Joanne Rink, MD and Amjad Ali, MD. Intestinal Obstruction After Totally Extraperitoneal Laparoscopic Inguinal Hernia Repair. Journal of the society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons. 2004 Jan-Mar; 8(1): 89–92.
- Edward L. Felix, MD, FACS. Prevention & Management. Laparoscopic Hernia Repair.
- Ferrone, R., Scarone, P.C., Natalini, G. Late complication of open inguinal hernia repair: small bowel obstruction caused by intraperitoneal mesh migration. Hernia. 2003 Sep;7(3):161-2. Epub 2003 Apr 24.
- Harvard Health Publishing. Bowel Obstruction. October 2014.
- Mayo Clinic. Intestinal obstruction.
No related posts.